RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contest IMing - ust work 'em

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contest IMing - ust work 'em
From: "Hanlon, Steve" <SHanlon@dnr.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:06:28 -0500
> just make sure you work the guy, don't care
> how you found 'em or how he found you...just work 'em and
> move on.  Unassisted vs. Assisted is really becoming a joke.

i would argue it does matter how you found them.  i guess the joke is those
that take pride in being able to have a score based on skill and understanding
of propagation and experience.  i'm not only a new ham, but new to contesting.
i have been reading and watching the threads on this and other reflectors with
great interest.  there are many very disturbing comments out there.

i could completely automate my CW contest station and go watch TV while my
score climbs higher and higher.  am i a good operator because i setup an
automated station that uses realtime spotting to change the frequency and move
the beam?  the computer would recognize a callsign, send mine, and log the QSO.
 if i won, would i be respected for my great operating prowess?  or would i be
a fraud, winning without having the skills to do it unassisted.

as much as i like contesting, i question if i really want to take part if the
prevailing attitude is centered around a philosophy that reduces skill and
knowledge and places a higher emphasis on just getting a high score.  winning
shouldn't be everything in this sport, knowledge and skillful operation should
be the foundation on which a high score is based.

for some, cheating is the only way the can have a high score, me, i'm content
to have a low score that i EARNED.

-steve hanlon
KB3KAQ