[CQ-Contest] N0AX is 2003 Orr Technical Writing Award winner

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] N0AX is 2003 Orr Technical Writing Award winner
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:42:26 -0500
The ARRL Letter
Vol. 23, No. 09
February 27, 2004
***************

==>N0AX WINS 2003 ORR TECHNICAL WRITING AWARD

The ARRL Foundation has bestowed the 2003 Bill Orr, W6SAI, Technical
Writing Award on QST Contributing Editor H. Ward Silver, N0AX, of Vashon
Island, Washington. The action came during the foundation's annual
meeting, held via teleconference February 12. The Foundation Board of
Directors cited Silver's "fine technical series in QST and other League
venues." ARRL Northwestern Division Director Greg Milnes, W7OZ--a
foundation board member--will present Silver with a $250 award and a
commemorative plaque at an upcoming meeting of the Western Washington DX
Club.

"I really am thrilled to win the award because I greatly admired the
technical savvy and writing of Bill Orr," Silver said. "I still have
several of his antenna books on my bookshelf. His Radio Handbooks were
very helpful as companions to The ARRL Handbook, as well."

The award selection is made by the ARRL editorial staff, based on articles
published in QST during 2003, that most exemplify the writing philosophy
of Bill Orr--that articles should tell a technical "story" that appeals to
a broad audience extending beyond those individuals who have a particular
interest in the topic.

Silver said that his main goal as an Amateur Radio writer is to light that
same spark in other beginners as authors such as Orr lighted for him. "I
owe a lot of my writing and drawing style to QST and other League
publications, so it is particularly gratifying to be recognized as
continuing the tradition," he said.

The avid and well-known contester has authored more than 200 articles for
ARRL publications. In 2003, Silver started his popular "Hands-On Radio"
series in QST. He is also the editor of the Contester's Rate Sheet
<http://www.arrl.org/contests/rate-sheet/> and the ARRL Antenna Design
Course <http://www.arrl.org/cce/courses.html#ec009>, and is the author of
N0AX's Radio Puzzler. He's also written feature articles and product
reviews for QST, and penned the "Contest Corral" and "Test Your Knowledge"
columns in the journal.

"Ward's got a great sense of how to write for beginners," said QST Editor
Steve Ford, WB8IMY. "He can take a complicated subject and explain it to
anyone. Another great strength is his sense of humor in his writing.
Between those two strengths, he can make almost any subject palatable."

=========================================================== The ARRL Letter is published Fridays, 50 times each year, by the American Radio Relay League--The National Association For Amateur Radio--225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111; tel 860-594-0200; fax 860-594-0259; <http://www.arrl.org>. Jim Haynie, W5JBP, President.

The ARRL Letter offers a weekly e-mail digest of essential news of
interest to active amateurs. The ARRL Letter strives to be timely,
accurate, concise, and readable. Visit ARRLWeb <http://www.arrl.org> for
the latest news, updated as it happens. The ARRL Web site
<http://www.arrl.org/> offers access to news, informative features and
columns. ARRL Audio News <http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/audio/> is a
weekly "ham radio newscast" compiled from The ARRL Letter.

Material from The ARRL Letter may be republished or reproduced in whole or
in part in any form without additional permission. Credit must be given to
The ARRL Letter and The American Radio Relay League.

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC