[CQ-Contest] Spurious signals on 75 in ARRL DX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Spurious signals on 75 in ARRL DX
From: "David L. Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 01:46:57 -0500
I was busy setting up my low band position at my station and was listening
to the hundreds of European signals between 3650 to 3750 (plus some Africans
and Central America).  I was marveling at how strong IR4T and S57O were when
I heard a W2 at S9 on 3706.8. He was calling the DX but the signal sounded
like intermod or a spurious harmonic.  He called for a few minutes
(the signal splattered over a few Khz up and down the band).  I tuned above
3750 all the way  to nearly 3900 (the IR4 was QSX on 3884) but never did
find him.  Maybe he was on 40 or 160 which were also open at the time.

I listened around and I heard several more spurious signals.  But most were
weaker and you never could quite tune them in to get a call sign.  I
switched to my regular station and heard the same things so its not my RX
(either a FT 980 or FT 920).

In the ARRL DX one FCC pink slip or two or three OO reports can or could DQ
you.  Is this a problem or just an isolated incident???  I did find the W2
in hamcall and e-mailed him so will see what his reply will be.  But a
caution...check your gear for spurs on the same or different bands!

Dave K4JRB