[CQ-Contest] It's Broke !

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] It's Broke !
From: "Jerry Cahill" <jcahill@tinet.ie>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:57:32 -0000
It has long ceased to surprise me as to what subject headings manage to prompt
list members into making comment on this reflector. A little navel gazing is
probably fine, it conveys the feeling that most people don't have a serious
gripe and are quite happy, out there in NA contest land at least.  I can't say
the same from where I am sitting. I am probable like most of the people on this
list, spending most of my free time in "radio contest mode", trying to build
the best stations we can with what we can manage to "make available".  All in
pursuit of the finest hobby in the world......contesting.
Now I get to where it itches and I can't scratch. My gripe is that my club
meetings have now become cluster spot analysis sessions. Postings from Dave,
K1TTT are constantly being referred to. Callsign data bases are consulted for
spot makers calls.... during contests..... by the guys who should be hunting
mults. This is not contesting!!!!
I've been told "don't bother complaining, nobody will care until the NA scores
are upset"  Another response is " if you can't beat them, join them". I refuse
to accept that nobody in NA cares ( witness K1TTT ). I also refuse to "join
them". Our hobby has long operated on the honour system. I am very proud of
this. I have always referred to our personal integrity when trying to explain
the workings of a contest to "civilians."  I am not anti dx cluster. I don't
want it to go away. I just want it fixed. I am not a programmer nor am I a data
comms expert but can it be difficult to include a spotters IP address along
with his call......is it ?? It saddens me to have to acknowledge that we would
need to do something like this.  Surely, we must do something to regain some
element of collective self respect. This is OUR hobby. The cluster is OUR
creation. WE need to fix it. I want to be able to explain contesting like I
used to.

Jerry Cahill EI6BT/EI7M