RE: [CQ-Contest] Fringe reception

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Fringe reception
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 10 Mar 2004 23:56:18 -0600
On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 17:08, Joe Subich, K4IK wrote:
> This is what is know as "blanketing interference" and there
> are rules against it (or were when I was actively working
> as a broadcast chief engineer).  Stations are (were?) required
> to minimize blanketing interference and take steps to remedy
> the problem on a case by case basis.

I've been in private email with Pete about this.

FCC regulation 73.318 is relevant to this situation.  It requires new FM
stations to satisfy any "blanketing" (overload) complaints received
within their "115 dBu contour" during their first year of operation.  In
Pete's case the offending station is running 36 kilowatts and their "115
dBu contour" extends to a distance of 1.47 miles from the tower.

73.88 is the corresponding regulation for AM.  73.685(d) applies to TV
but is a LOT more vague than for FM.  There is no blanketing regulation
for shortwave broadcast stations.  (I lived about 5 miles from 100kw
WWCR for several years, and never had any problems - indeed, on some
frequencies it was difficult to *hear* WWCR!)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66