Re: [CQ-Contest] Response to K5ZD's Comments

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Response to K5ZD's Comments
From: "Steve Root" <steve.root@culligan4water.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:44:03 -0000
I wouldn't disagree with Jeff about the "Iron Man" aspect of DX contesting.
Staying in the chair is a big reason the top scorers end up where they are.
However, I would have more incentive to stay in the chair if there was
something to do during the times when we don't have any propagation.

For a lot of us, the DX contest consists of several short openings with a
lot of dead air in between.  From  0800Z to local sunrise there isn't much
of anything to do from here, other than listening to the guys in the
Carribean.  Same thing during the day after Europe closes down for us,
around 1800Z.  "Iron Man" means rates of 12 an hour and tuning around
looking for a new LU or PY call on 10 meters.  This isn't much fun, and all
you're really doing is burning yourself out whiloe waiting for a better
opening later.  As a point of reference I operate from W0ZT's station with
stacked Yagi's and phased verticals on the low bands.  Hardware really
doesn't matter.  When the bands are dead,  they're dead.

A 36 hour rule would be very attractive to me.  It would add an element of
strategy to the contest and allow me to avoid periods of time during the day
when we don't have DX propagation.  Oh, and I freely admit to having plenty
of grey in my beard :-)

73 Steve K0SR