Re: [CQ-Contest] awesome upgrades to the 8 band vertical!!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] awesome upgrades to the 8 band vertical!!
From: Tom Horton <k5iid@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 19:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

i am also looking to put up a sloper for 160m using the design in the ARRL wire
antenna book. it uses 90 turns at the top of a 40' tower with 63 or so feet
sloping to the earth.

Steve,

 While I was in WV, I used this antenna, and had acceptable performance
considering how horribly short the antenna is. Mine was only up to about 40
feet.

 There is another one in th ebook, I believe, that I used before, and it did
seem to be quite a bit better for a shortened version. It is the linearly
loaded 160 sloper. It's a little trickier to build, but I made one out of just
plain old hook-up wire and some ice cream sticks for the spreaders. Worked
amazingly well.

Good luck!

73, Tom K5IID

Tom Horton  K5IID
 Hillsboro, TX

 USA-CA All Counties 661---DXCC---5 BAND DXCC
 WPX HONOR ROLL---5 BAND WAC---WAZ

 Finally back home in Texas after all these years!

"E" sorter for the ARRL W5 QSL bureau