Re: [CQ-Contest] Virus Attachments from Contesters

To: "Hal Offutt" <Hal@japancorporateresearch.com>,"cq-contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Virus Attachments from Contesters
From: "Bob Naumann - N5NJ" <n5nj@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 06:46:50 -0500
Hal,

This phenomena is becoming more commonplace over the last couple of years with
the exploitation of some security weaknesses of Microsoft email programs.
These virusses (virii?) masquerade as other legitimate senders.

I've received these messages with a return address of my own callsign@arrl.net
- now, I can receive an email at that address, but I have never sent an email
from that address nor would my ISP allow me to do so.

So, the solution to this is to:

1) Have current, updated virus protection software on your computer (example:
CA EZ Antivirus)
2) Use a software firewall that has email protection in it (example: ZoneAlarm
Pro)
3) Consider using a SPAM elimination program along with your current mail
program (example: Spam Assassin(Unix);SA Proxy Pro(PC))

The other option to prevent becoming one of the offenders is to use a
non-Microsoft email program.  There are several.  I use Bloomba from
http://www.statalabs.com who also makes SA Proxy Pro, and the two can be
tightly integrated.

73,
Bob N5NJ