Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation

To: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW - Needs More Participation
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 23:24:31 +0600
> > Is there such a requirement? I thought they ask me to sent
> > hard copy of ID and license - nothing else. Means I can do
> > it while I am in the US or Africa.
>
> True ... and the FAQs don't even specify a photo ID although
> most governments now issue photo based ID documents.

Joe, the message in your posting is quoted only partly. I was arguing
the requirenment  to use snail mail as opposed to email photocopy.
Here is  Bill Coleman's statement that I have responded to with the
above:

:Sending information by regular mail will show postage and
cancellation
:from the country of origin. This, in part, could help confirm that
the
:station gaining a certificate is legitimate, and not just someone who
:managed to finagle or forge an e-mail address.

:Sure, the photocopy or the digital scan could equally be forged, but
:its much more difficult to forge the cancellation of the post.

> >  Besides, my license is already on  eqsl.cc
>
> Only an unverified scan and only visible to you and eQSL staff.

If I were to send photocopy to ARRL that would be the very same
unverified scan.

> > I thought the whole idea is to avoide using post office in the
> > beginning of the 21st century whenever possible.

> You are ... one time vs. hundreds or thousands of times for
> paper QSLs.  Thus for the cost of sending ONE QSL you have
> relieved yourself of that cost for the future.

It is not about the cost. It is about the whole idea of not using
snail mail anymore.

> > I refuse sending it even once. Too much hassle.
>
> How is it any more of a hassle than sending cards?

I do not send cards. I email log to QSL manager. I wrote about that
here before. We are going in circles. So I will better stop here.

73, Igor UA9CDC