Re: [CQ-Contest] K2/100 vs. MP

To: "Blake M. Meinecke" <n4gi@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K2/100 vs. MP
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 21:33:29 -0400

On May 26, 2004, at 6:33 PM, Blake M. Meinecke wrote:

I've got both a regular 1998 MP and a K2/100. I mainly use the K2 as radio
2 and have noticed many of the things John mentions, but I need to put 2
beefs on the list:

1) The radio has NO CW PTT!!! The dot keying line doubles as the CW PTT.

There is no CW PTT. The dot keying line and the Microphone PTT share the same input port on the main microprocessor.

This strange design makes for some interesting hookup dilemas with RX ant
lockouts and stuff. The sharing also means plugging/unplugging the mic
cable during mixed mode contests (or turning off/on ptt in software).

Big problem with implementing CW PTT is that this would deactivate the internal keyer. That may not be a big problem for contestors.

2) No
zero detent for the RIT ARRRRGH !!! You have to look at the rit offset
while turning to get it back to zero, and you can't turn it on mid-QSO and
expect to have the same station in the PB because you have no idea where
it's set!

This is a pain. It is possible to clear the RIT from the computer control port, or you can program a button on the KRC2 to do the same thing. Of course, if you use the RIT to one side each time, you'll eventually run out of tuning room....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL Mail: aa4lr@arrl.net Quote: "Not within a thousand years will man ever fly!" -- Wilbur Wright, 1901