Re: [CQ-Contest] new truck

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, <feutz@wctc.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] new truck
From: "Tim Gardner" <TGARDNER@glcc.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:22:15 -0400
Ron,

Be very careful around the Ford pickup, Explorer, Excursion, etc.  The fuel
pump noise in my 2001 Explorer is S8, and that is after Ford installed the RFI
kit. If you look around the Internet, you will see some information that Ford
used this same fp for years and anually updated the service bulletin.  There is
also some indications that they started using a different fp in the 2001 or
2002 models, so new vehicles may be  less worrisome.

I won't say you should avoid Ford completely, but be sure test for FP noise
before you buy.

Good Luck & 73.

Tim - N9LF

>>> Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net> 08/15/04 08:16PM >>>
Contesters,

I am shopping for a new pick-up which will be used,  among other things,
for a mobile contest set-up with a truck camper.

Are there any makes/models/engine options to stay away from due to
difficult-to-remedy noise problems?

73,

Ron - WA9IRV