Re: Topband: Sept/Oct NCJ article on DX Prowess of Receivers

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <topband@contesting.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Sept/Oct NCJ article on DX Prowess of Receivers
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:08:15 -0400
Hi Tom,

At 04:27 PM 8/31/04, W8JI wrote:

I know popular opinion in Europe is moving towards
wide-spaced testing being important. I just can't imagine
how that can be real. If receivers are bothered by a mix of
wide spaced BC stations, it would stand to reason mixing
products of those stations would fill the band. Instead I
see it claimed to produce unidentifiable noise.

I believe most of this is coming from the VHF/EME community in Europe, where wide-spaced interference may be more common and important. I agree with you that it certainly would not seem to apply to 160-10m in contests.

>Everything that is a problem *with the receiver* is always
something within the roofing filter passband of my receivers.

        It would be interesting to verify this, but I'll bet we
could "almost" rank receiver performance strictly by the width
of roofing filters, assuming there were no other serious design
defects such as phase noise.

73, Bill W4ZV