[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 22, Issue 10

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 22, Issue 10
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:58:21 -0400
Oh, that's any easy one to answer, Barry.

The Pa QSO Party was originally in September, so there was no conflict.  The
date was changed back in the late '70's when the ARRL re-aligned the dates
for the VHF contests, putting the September VHF contest on the same weekend.
So after some teeth knashing and so forth, the Nittany ARC moved the date to
the 2nd weekend in October, even though the conflict with the hamfest was
known.

Keep in mind that when this all was happening, the PaQP was no where near
the popularity it's now at, for which Doug W3HDH should get the credit.

Ironically, after the date change, the ARRL then scheduled one of their old
"Open CD Parties" for the Saturday night of the PaQP.  A lot of us thought
this would be a problem; actually, it turned out to be a blessing, as it
made getting those far west & west coast mults a breeze on 40 meters!

73, ron wn3vaw