Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 M Band Plan

To: "Mike Wetzel" <mjwetzel@comcast.net>,"Cq Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 160 M Band Plan
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 16:50:49 -0400
Remedmber that most of the world do not have any operating privileges except
1810 to 1850 where they must operate ALL MODES.
The list of operating privileges is not correct.

For example PY only has 1820 to 1845.  In the UK they can operate above 1850
but they are limited to 10 watts.  As of recently JA still has no SSB
privileges.

In Eastern Europe (mainly UA and UR) they do operate above 1850 but Wally
LZ2CJ has commented that UR rag chews fill the band even in Contest periods.

Hopefully most will operate on a frequency that is authorized by their
country and if below 1843 they will listen up.  But please do not chase off
DX that are operating below with full authority on say 1833 or 1838.  There
was a nasty incendent with a ZP working Europe on 1838 in our summer (his
winter) that was run off by staeside and ve operators enforcing the
North America band plan.

I have proposed to the IARU (now that 40 is settled) that the band between
1800 and 1900 be a world wide band.  If that happens the ARRL band plan will
finally work.

By the way, DL stations...note that I have a letter from the DARC Office
that on 160 DL stations are limited to 75 watts.

I get complaints every year about out of band operation by Dx stations.
Know your 160 privileges and stay legal.

Dave K4JRB