Re: [CQ-Contest] Were a lot of guys calling you by name in thecontest?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Were a lot of guys calling you by name in thecontest?
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:37:00 EST
In a message dated 11/2/04 9:19:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:
I believe
Writelog has a similar capability and N1MM can read and display the
TRMaster format.

This name thing during the contest is IMHO redundant and who needs it. If
things are reaaaaly slow and you know the operator's voice, than maybe, but
many
times the calls are operated by guests or multies, so names don't match
anyway. Sometimes it could be a dead guy, like I get with N2EE when someone
says hi
Nikola (Tesla RC) - 60 years too late :)

Better if phone operators concentrated more on proper and clear announciation
of their calls. Sometimes you have to listen trice to decipher the call and
when weak signal, even more.
Partial checks are "helping" wrong way sometimes too. Some insist that I am
K2BU and not K3BU.
And then there are overcompressed, overmodulated, wide as a barn door signals
that paralyze the bands. Some stations are so overcompressed that they are
louder when not talking, just the noise. Add to it "overequalized" audio
between
1600 and 2000 Hz and you wonder what is wrong with your RX. It is not that
hard to check and know what your signals sounds like before you embark on 48
hours of "torture".

Yuri, K3BU.us