RE: [CQ-Contest] Poor transmit audio quality

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Poor transmit audio quality
From: <jukka.klemola@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:37:46 +0200

By far the best stations in this category were some native English
speakers who have their own dialect and come to answer with plain
letters in their own dialect.

Then I answer using phonetic alphabet, the station says not ok
and says his call a few times.

Then, after a fer error correction rounds I have his call
right in my log. Or so he says.

I consider these guys are perfect for making me learn English
really fast.

> over drive and compression

The signal bandwidth is the most important issue. Some stations
with modest signal strengths had really wide signals.

Most of the stronger signals had narrower than 5kHz wide transmit
spectrum.

A 125W out of a FT1000MP or TS850 spreading over a large bandwidth
is less signal than 100-110W out  of the same device over a more
right bandwidth.

Plus a 'normal' PA just suffers from over 100W input signal.

Many do not comprehend these small facts.. unfortunately.

> John
> WA2GO

73,
jukka OH6LI (was OH0V)