[CQ-Contest] Re: Packet Cheerleaders

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Packet Cheerleaders
From: John Cashen <vk4uc@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:06:30 +1000
As a DX station I am now convinced that the frequency of which I am spotted has a profound influence on my run rates, total qso's and score. In contrast, the past use of the Cluster for mult-chasing yielded only a modest benefit to my score . The present "rules" on the "use" of the Cluster are focused on S&P are ambiguous at best with respect to the issues of spotting DX.

---: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com> wrote:
 "Most packet spots are generated by the
disinterested and favor no particular station in their selection -
but cheerleaders spot one particular station over and over again with
the objective of improving that station's score and place in the
results."    ..................................

"Imagine the following scenario.  Two hams travel to a contest
station.  Ham A operates the radio for 48 hours as a single-op unassisted
contest entry.  Ham B's main purpose in life for those same 48 hours is
to watch A's radio dials and logging software, and every time A changes
his run frequency, or his rate drops below a certain level, B spots A
on the cluster network, using B's callsign (which might be in a different
country from the contest operation.)  Since B never actually touches
the radios, he's not an operator, and A claims "unassisted" status.
Since the spots are only ever sent by B, and B is not an operator, it
doesn't count as self-spotting, right?"

That's an interesting question! Is self- spotting by a second party (the case above) and the aforementioned cheerleading questionable because it is perceived to be solicited? What if it was truly unsolicited?

This opens the question of the sportsmanship of a DX station who openly solicits (over the air) to be spotted by stations he has just worked. What about the station who emails other stations in advance of the contest announcing operating times and frequencies with a request to be worked?

Some would say that if a practice is not explicitly stated in the rules then it is legal and to be exploited. Others will say it is an unsportsmanlike action and to be avoided. It is hard to imagine how those opposing views will ever be resolved by debate.

There could be another way to deal with these issues and those that will follow. It has probably been suggested before, but I'll raise it again. We could create a "International Contest Operator Code of Practice". Contests could opt to ask their entrants to abide by it by modifying the statement:

This is to certify that in this contest I have operated my transmitter within the limitations of my license, the Code of Practice, and have observed fully the rules and regulations of the contest.

Which we now all agree to.

Just a thought,

John VK4UC/ (W6KNC)

---