Re: [CQ-Contest] 10-4?

To: "Bob Gates" <regates@kingwoodcable.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 10-4?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:36:37 -0800
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:29:53 -0600, Bob Gates wrote:

>Actually, in commercial and military terminology, the term "Over and out" is
>contradictory.  You use one or the other at the end of a transmission.  "Over"
>means you are asking the other station to transmit, and you will be listening.
>"Out" means the communication is ended and you do not expect to hear anything
>further from the other station.

I disagree.  "Over" means one thing, "out" means another and they may
or may not be combined as the situation calls for.  Especially in a
net or roundtable, "over" means I'm turning it back to you and I will
be listening, just as you said, but adding "out" means I'm turning it
back to you and I am going QRT (or QSY).  I don't see a contradiction
at all.

I grant you that in a two-party QSO, as opposed to a roundtable, "over
and out" probably should not be used.

Does that make sense?

--
Bill W6WRT