Re: [CQ-Contest] Adding 80m Shunt feed w/160

To: "Scott Bauer" <w2lc@ix.netcom.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Adding 80m Shunt feed w/160
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:16:29 -0500
Scott,

Find somebody who has a set of old QSTs (or the CD-ROMs) and find the September 1975 issue (I think - it might be October). There was an article by Earl, W5RTQ (who later became K6SE, still a well-known call on top band) that was pretty much the holy grail for people trying to shunt feed towers. Earl's tower was approximately 70' with a TH6 on top which is not all that much different from your setup. He had it successfully shunt fed on both 160 and 80.

In my experience, I've tried shunt feeding towers such as yours and agree that it is difficult to make work. The reason I believe is that the height of the tower, along with the top loading of the yagi, results in an electrical length approaching a full quarter wavelength on 160M. While this results in a very effective 160M antenna, the same structure is almost one half wave long on 80M which results in a very high radiation resistance when fed at one end (the opposite of the 160M situation). This is why it's so hard to match.

I *have* been able to make this work, but it takes a LOT of cut and try. I would start by moving the feed point *lower* on the tower rather higher. Again, the K6SE/W5RTQ article would be a great starting point.

73,

Dave/K8CC