[CQ-Contest] SS Funny

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS Funny
From: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:49:21 -0800 (PST)
Ward tickled my memory and I have to tell a story about what happened this
weekend on SS Phone...and the joke is on me.

We were running Multi-op at W0NO and I got the shift in the early morning on
Sunday.  I rolled off the couch and flipped on the amp and looked around and
started working people on 40 meters.  I am still kinda groggy.

About an hour later a new contester calls me and says, "Your my Number 1 in
Georgia."

Well, I asked if this was his first contact and if he had ever been in a
Sweepstakes before and he replied "no, this is my first."

So, I stopped and asked him, "how much power he are you using and what was the
first year you were married?"

It took me a second or too after silence on the other end to figure out what I
had said and then said, "OM, that was the first year you were licensed."

The gentleman came back and gave me the date and we proceed on with the
contest.  Meanwhile, Al, W0NO, had gotten up and was getting breakfast and had
heard all this from my end and came in and asked,

"Do they give the date from the first or second marriage?"

Needless to say, I lost it right there with the VOX open and I trying to get a
grip on reallity.  I finally get a grip a few seconds later and called CQ
again...  I don't remember the actual call but ere is how it went....

"W0NO, copy number 156 B K1ABC CK is 56 in VT and I was married in 61."

Well, I lost it again and the other guys of laughing so hard on the other end
that it was hard to make out what was going on for awhile.  Then the next QSO
went...

"W0NO, copy mumber 245 A K9XZY 81 Indiana...married in 79."

Well, by now the I had to have a towel to mop of the tears of laughter.....
After getting another grip of reality the next QSO...

"W0NO, copy number 99 A K0RST 61 MO...and I am not married."

Laughter again rang out on my end and I had to step away from the rig for a few
seconds before proceeding.  After that, the comments stopped....that goodness!

Lots of fun and a good memory.

Lee - K0WA
"Foot in Mouth"