Re: [CQ-Contest] Phone Phollies

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Phone Phollies
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 22 Nov 2004 23:33:57 -0600
On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 11:48, Ward Silver wrote:
> 1) Geez - some UGLY signals out there, especially on 40, it seemed.  Guys -
> back off on the drive!  Yes - I had my noise blanker OFF, preamp OFF,
> attenuator IN - still UGLY and WIDE.  Just because the knob goes to 10
> doesn't mean it's a good idea.

May I echo Ward's comment, in my case with regard to the high bands?
One station Sunday afternoon could be heard over at least 50KHz worth of
20 meters.  Nobody else was that bad but 15-20KHz was not unusual!

It's bad enough for someone to wrongly accuse contesters of being too
wide.  It's worse when they're right...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66