RE: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:47:29 -0500
I really enjoyed this and the post from KR6X.

I suggest that anyone who thinks SO2R should be a separate class try an
all-out serious SO2R effort in the next contest. Borrow a station if you
have to. You will find that it's incredibly difficult -- a whole new level
of skill is required. My scores dropped the first season I tried SO2R, and
it took a couple more seasons before I even began to get the hang of it. I
still have a long way to go, and I think I'm going on four full years of
SO2R. Also, I suggest you ask yourself if SO2R is such a big advantage, why
W1WEF consistently makes the top ten as SO1R (and just a stack of
tribanders.)

My thesis is that the three most important things for a winning score are,
in this order -- skill, skill, and skill. Yeah, bigger antennas help a lot.
Hardline helps. Two rigs help. An understanding XYL helps (can we have a
separate category for people whose spouses don't like towers or contest
weekends?) But you will never win unless you develop your skills to the
highest level. I've seen incredible scores for partial efforts posted by
some of the nation's best contesters -- I can think of one case where the
score made the top ten with only about 30 hours put in. You want a separate
category? How about "Northeast QTH"? How about "Towers over 150'"? How about
"Three stacks or greater"? How about "Much better op than me"?

C'mon! This game is about doing what it takes to improve your score, whether
that means developing your skills (the best way), putting in more hours (the
second best way), building better antennas (the third best way), or
optimizing your radios (a distant fourth.) If you do the first two items,
you won't need a so-called level playing field. Stop grousing and get with
it!

73, Dick WC1M