Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: LimitedAntenna HeightCat

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Stimulating Participation was: LimitedAntenna HeightCategory
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:03:10 -00

> If the cultural divide is still too wide, maybe an easier challenge would
> be for the ARRL to do this for its own contests.  I bet that
participation,
> as measured by log submissions, would benefit substantially.

"As measured by log submissions" isn't really material --- getting more
signals on the air should be the focus.  "More logs" is an incidental
by-product.

I don't think any statistically-significant fraction of nubby-newcomers
(that's who we're looking for here) gets on the air for their first (or
second or third) contest with the notion of sending in a log, let alone
being in competition for an award.  With that thought in mind, the nuances
of "categories" are totally lost on them and will have at best a negligible
effect on recruiting "new blood", and only serve to dilute the
competitiveness of the cognoscenti.

To those of us who know and love radiosport, it is a huge global game of
electronic-splatball --- that's the angle we need to exploit to coax those
new guys into the fray.

73, de Hans, K0HB