Re: [CQ-Contest] TIC Ring Potentiometer Failure?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TIC Ring Potentiometer Failure?
From: K4RO Kirk Pickering <k4ro@k4ro.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:07:48 -0600
I had six pots burn up before I found an alternative.
The burn was happening at one end of the pot, and not
on the wiper.  Same place every time.  I never could
figure out what was causing the problem.  It looked
like a small fuse that opened up.  I had MOV's and
large bypass caps on every lead, and it still happened.

I suspect the problem was in the control box, which is
now in the junk box.  I finally got sick of replacing the
pots every 3 months.  My current fix has lasted 3 years so
far. Now I am using only one side of the pot and measuring
resistance with an ohmmeter.  I have a calibration chart,
and it is repeatable to within +/- 3 degrees.  Someday I'd
like to build meter shunts and use the old meter box to
indicate direction. Here is a picture of the control box:

http://www.k4ro.net/tcg/image/ticring/new_tic_box.jpg

The TIC-Owners reflector is still up and running, but
there hasn't been any traffic for about a year or so.
I've copied this post to see if any of the remaining
addresses are still valid. :-)

-Kirk  K4RO