Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Metrics

To: KAZeringue@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Metrics
From: asciibaron@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:18:20 +0000
Keith, W4KAZ wrote:

The ARRL "Interactive contest scores" results database is a good step forward
in making a vast pool of contest log information available.  If more
information about the participating stations could be cross referenced, it can
be even more useful.

But my own contest strategy is very similar to that of Steve, KB3KAQ.  I'm
going to keep setting new and higher personal goals, and continue to push own
performance where possible.  The sky is the limit.
<<<<<

i only operate select contests from my QTH - one's that i know i have a chance
in doing well with LP and wires, and now, a tribander.  when i go datamining in
the ARRL scores database, i cross reference the results (my peers both local
and national) with the World Contest Station dB
http://www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm

i set my goals, based on the average score of those with like stations in my
local area.  i also look at the station's of those in the top of my category at
the top in the national statndings.  i wish more top contenders had info in the
dB,  but a quick google has yeilded results as well.

if there was a single database for a contest that contained the qso, mult and
total score as well as hours spent (and when!) as well as equipment used, it
would do a great deal to level the field.

my local barometer is W3LL, but he doesn't know it.  in the last few contests i
have worked, i have used his score as an incentive to increase my skills and
signal.  a look at the WCSdB shows he is working with wires at 50 for the
various bands.  even if the dipoles were setup as static beams in the trees, he
manages to do very well (imo) with the wires and a non contest radio.

his scores are proof that it is the operator and not so much the station that
is the deciding factor.  years of experience can not be made up with a
tribander or a kilowatt.  so, if i'm tuning around and hear him running, i
listen in for few qso's and see how it is done.

there are other stations that i have been "watching" and learning from.
without the scores dB and the WCSdB, and the lack of scores in QST, i would
have smaller goals and less interest in contesting - a return to last season
when i didn't have those tools at my disposal.

and for the record, FD not only sparked my interest in ham radio, but also
contesting.  without it, i would not be the diehard contester i am today.
actually, i just showed up for the food.

-steve
KB3KAQ