Re: [CQ-Contest] Printed scores

To: Steve Hanlon <asciibaron@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Printed scores
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 11:07:16 -0800
Remember a lot of it has to do with sunspots. When the cycle is high I can work EU from the Western USA no problem, even the 100 watt guys on a dipole or vertical. When the spots are low, like they are now, only the strongest EU stations can be heard here. Very few EU stations got into my latest ARRL DX, WPX, IARU, IOTA, or CQWWDX logs this year or last year. WAG was a wash for me this year.

The same about location can be said in the discussions about advantages and disadvantages people think they or someone else has. As in Real Estate, it is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. A little pistol on the East Coast can work way more EU and AF stations in a contest than a station in the Western USA. And I believe there are many more EU stations in the contests than there are in OC or AS, so it doesn't average out between the two. Just a fact of life, like some of us were born good looking and the rest not. I'm not about to move my QTH to chase DX, but I do enjoy a contest and DXpedition every couple of years or so from DU Land. From there I can work all these EU stations I can't hear from home.

73

Steve Hanlon wrote:

i am very saddened to see the scores drop from QST. 2 years ago when a co-worker was talking up ham radio to me, i had no clue what the scores were - they just appeared to be numbers and callsigns and i could not understand them.

now that i have been a ham for 1.5 years, i look back at those issues of QST given to me and smile when i see a callsign of someone i have met, in person or on the air, and see their results. a shared event really has a way of creating a bond, and now i will not be able to show someone that i was part of that event by the printed score in QST (unless i make it to the top!).

-steve
KB3KAQ

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY