Re: [CQ-Contest] Signing /QRP In Contests

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Signing /QRP In Contests
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 16:06:33 -0500
At 03:58 PM 12/5/2004, Eric Hilding wrote:

[SIGH...]

While I admire those who take on the challenge of 5w in a DX contest (or any other NON-QRP-Specific) event, these are my observations (and FRUSTRATIONS) of working stations that sign "callsign/QRP" instead of just their calls...especially in the ARRL CW DX Contest as DX in February and most recently in last weekend's 160m contest:

etc...

I agree that it's annoying and a waste of time to have someone who is quite adequately loud signing /QRP. On the other hand, if the signal is weak, and I'm on a band or in a contest where I expect not to be too loud myself, I might not even try a weak signal because I'd figure he wouldn't hear me. If I know he's QRP, that makes a 10-15 dB difference in reciprocity. This weekend in the ARRL 160 that was particularly true, because 200 watts and a shunt fed tower with radials in disrepair don't add up to loud.

73, Pete N4ZR