[CQ-Contest] K3EST

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] K3EST
From: "Alexander Teimurazov" <at@at-communication.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:19:37 +0300
I missed Bob's reply  (2nd December 2004) to my email about the special
consideration to allow A61AJ to do SOSB on different bands.  I have now read it
after I saw N6TJ's letter (6 Dec) referring to it.

What I can say RULES are RULES and to change the rules its nesessary to change
that for everyone.  Bending the rules for A61AJ has now perhaps established a
precedent whereby everyone with licencing difficulty can request the same
treatment.

Take for example D4, in this situation I can organize now SOSB on several bands
from D4B and will that will be against the rules?  Ask IV3TAN if its possible
to get license in D4....  Virtually the same problem as in A6....

I hear from other contesters that rules to dont allow people operate SOSB was
made as a result of an IG9 operation, I dont know if its true or not. Also I
heard rules of power was made after a CN8WW operation.

I think when we interprete the rules we always need to look at the interest of
the contesters and not at the interest of contest director.

I asked several contest committee members and they are not aware of the
situation with A61AJ....  This obviously raises the question if the decision
was made by K3EST alone or was anyone else in the committee part of the
decision.

Mr.Cox you have to remember that CQ WW Contest is not private property of
contest director. CQ WW CONTEST IS CONTEST OF CONTESTER.

We cant have fun in the contest if someone calling him self contest director
and changing rules how ever he wish and do what ever he wish and even dont
hesitate to advertise that.

You say the purpose of the contest is to have fun and encourage contesting: I
fully agree with that statement but the way this specific case was handled
raises some questions if the rules will be bent the same for everyone.

The facts are still that there are several places in the world with limited
licencing/power limitations etc but the contesters operating from there abide
by the rules of the CQWW contest as well as the local regulations.

What if a new record was set by A61AJ on 40m  or 80m?  Will this record be
valid?  Even if there was no co-operation between the operators on the
different bands no one will tell me that there was no added value to having
another band active with the same call from the same location. (Read N6TJ's
email about the subject on the 6th of Dec)

The above point re the record will discourage attempts at that record and will
eventually lead to less participation (LESS FUN) because of the unlevel
playing ground that was created.

There are enough (mostly known) disadvantages of certain locations/licencing
procedures and operating techniques that dictate operating for contests like
the CQWW not to add another factor like this strange decision coming directly
from the contest director desk!  Decisions like this will demotivate contesters
or force them to enter different contests.

If these "extraordinary circumstances" and decisions are made public before the
contest it will allow other competitors to change their entry or strategy or
allow them to also apply for something similar.

Bob, K3EST has recently not been answering my emails to him regarding several
other questions which can also be regarded as "extraordinary circumstances"
which leaves me in doubt if everyone is treated the same by the contest
committee or in this case the director himself.

Can we perhaps have a list of previous similar petitions and how they were
dealt with by the committe?  I am sure many would like to see them.

 CONTESTS FOR CONTESTERS !!!!!!!

                        73          Al 4L5A/D4B

***********************************

>From K3EST dated 1/12/04

Dear Contesters,

The CQWWCC listens to reasonable requests. If an individual callsign is NOT
obtainable but permission to operate is granted, then it is possible to
petition the CQWWCC for a waiver regarding a different callsign for each entry.
This happens VERY rarely. In the case of A61AJ, no individual callsigns are
available. In order to be allowed to use the same callsign, they petitioned the
CQWWCC. Their request was reviewed and it was agreed that indeed more than one
callsign was not possible. The petitioneers were asked to not cooperate in any
way either on the air or off the air during the contest as pertains to their
class of entry.

The purpose of the contest is to have fun and encouage contesting. It serves no
purpose to prevent an entry if the integrity of the contest is upheld.

Every year we receive several requests regarding extraordinary circumstances.
Some are granted others are refused. In the end, CQWWCC decides what is
reasonable and what is not.

73

Bob, K3EST
CQ WW Director