RE: [CQ-Contest] Your Novice Accent/Our Contesting Voice (waslinescores)

To: "Warren C. Stankiewicz" <nf1j@earthlink.net>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Your Novice Accent/Our Contesting Voice (waslinescores)
From: "K0HB " <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 04:34:38 -00

> Hans' story of the new licensee's first contact is a truly sad one.  Hans,
> have you been able to contact him since then and let him know we're not
all
> like that? What a poor welcome to the hobby. One guy likes that makes us
all
> look bad.

Warren (and all),

The story of "Jim" is a fictional representation, intended to highlight the
harm that (well-meaning) OT's do when they take a "schoolmaster" approach
to indoctrinating newcomers.   If W2OY ("no kids, no lids, no space
cadets") were on the air today, to our discredit,  he wouldn't even get a
second glance.  Use of demeaning terms for newcomers like SOTB, etc., used
to be remarkable by the rarity of it, but today it's just "routine".

73, de Hans, K0HB