[CQ-Contest] Re: Contesting tips and tricks - not

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contesting tips and tricks - not
From: sawyered@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:06:01 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hate to tell you guys, but if you think that the rest of us are going to
stand-by and respect "your frequency" while there is dead air caused by your
Orion re-booting, or you dropping 2 or 3 more times your call into a packet
pile-up, you are in for a rude awakening.

If I find dead air, I ask QRL? once.  If I don't hear a response in a
"reasonable" time.  I'm CQing.  What's "reasonable"?  Its the same amount of
time that you woul space out your CQs and listen for a station to respond.  If
you don't start CQing again or respond to my QRL in that time, then you are
"not there" in my opinion.

I am a dedicated SO2R op, so I feel the same way when I am the CQ'er.  If
things are getting tight (like 40 CW at 00Z), I make sure I am just CQing so
that I DON'T lose my run frequency.  If you choose to take a chance
differently, I respect that, but be prepared to lose the frequency if you
aren't timely on the run freq.

I think is K1AR who once said, the proper technique for SO2R is for the other
station on either radio to not know that you are actually SO2R.  Enough said.

If you have hardware issues, that's your problem, not mine

Ed N1UR