Re: [CQ-Contest] Guinness World Records recognizeshigh-speedtelegraphy a

To: mail@fkurz.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Guinness World Records recognizeshigh-speedtelegraphy achievement
From: Tom Hammond <n0ss@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:04:17 -0600
Guess I missed something here... is this hand-sent CW, I mean, sent via a straight key?

73,

Tom N0SS

At 06:34 PM 12/19/04, Fabian Kurz wrote:
On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 03:59:36PM -0700, R. Kline wrote:
> hmmmmmmm......
> If I remember correctly (?), there are, on the average about 5 characters to
> a word in plain text. So, 216 characters per minute would be about 43 words
> per minute. That is a very respectable speed, but surely some high speed CW
> operators are faster than that. Am I missing something here????

This speed is effective speed, so depending on if it's figures, letters
or mixed groups, you have to multiply it with a certain factor to get
the speed in PARIS. Also if you have an error in your transmission,
you have to repeat the whole group in which you made the error, and in
the end the speed is the number of valid transmitted letters/figures.
In real QRQ QSOs most of the minor errors (h instead of s etc) are not
a problem and will automatically be corrected by the receiving
operator; in this competition errors are intolerable.

Transmitting 5-groups which make no sense at all is also *much* more
difficult than sending plain text or QSO text; just give it a try.

This year's TX results, if anyone is interested:
http://solair.eunet.yu/~s.ilic/hst_tx.htm

Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * http://fkurz.net/
rediscover the web: http://getfirefox.com/