Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful

To: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>, <K3BU@aol.com>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Be careful
From: "Tony Rogozinski" <tonyrogo@telegraphy.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:26:35 -0500
I think we all have to realize that you must have a beachfront QTH where
the verticals are either very near or in the water to get these results.
How many of us are fortunate enough to be in this situation?  Hence,
the majority of contesters will be using yagi's which are much less
logistically challenging than Quads.  I used Quads for many years
and in my opinion  there is no doubt that a 2 element quad will outperform
a 3 element yagi, etc..  In addition Quads are much quieter antennas.
Absolutely no rain static and the ambient QRN levels are much less
than with yagis.  These are not really opinions but actual observations
over the past 47 years of operating.  Obviously it's much easier to
stack yagis so most people who desire a large array will go that
route instead of stacking Quads.  If you plan operate a contest from
an exotic location where the antennas are on the roof of a hotel and
no where near the ocean your first choice is going to be a yagi not a
quad and certainly not a vertical.  Last December I used a vertical to
operate from my apartment in Cartagena, Colombia.  It was at about
185' overlooking the Caribbean and the performance quite frankly
sucked!  This year I'll be putting a tower on top of the building with
yagi's on the mast.

                    Tony Rogozinski
Amateur Radio W4OI - W4AMR - HK3KAV
                      ex N7BG, et al