[CQ-Contest] Footswitch Nostalgia & The Future

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Footswitch Nostalgia & The Future
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 19:54:25 -0800
All this talk about footswitches has triggered old memories...

I thought Jim Neiger's eyeballs were going to pop out the first time we met circa 1963 or so. He came over to my parent's house (rig in the bedroom/college days). Not having "full" break-in, he watched me pump up and down on the footswitch in between sending partial letters of my callsign in a pileup. It was always breaking, moving around all over the hardwood floor...scratching it..an old battered up small military surplus footswitch, 'twas, and no idea whatever happened to it.

HOWEVER...I now have several footswitches...two being the 3-pedal X-Keys switches...the ones you can program to do keystrokes, etc. In TR, I can tune my RX RIT up or down with my feet while still typing, although need more practice to be sure. These footswitches *are* "The Future",,,for a lot of slick foot-operated hot-key combo triggers, etc. - either PS/2 port or USB versions.

For those using the Awesome Morse Runner program, one of these puppies will allow you to do the same thing...tune the RIT with your feet and not have to move your fingers to the up/down arrow keys :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA