RE: [CQ-Contest] Synthesizer Opinions...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] Synthesizer Opinions...
From: K6VVA <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:32:00 -0800
Gerry, W1VE wrote:

> Last weekend during NAQP SSB, I deceided to whip together a voice keyer
> using a very-high-quality voice font. I ran the whole contest without lifting the microphone.

I'm soooooo thrilled you posted this, Gerry, 'cuz this subject turns me on like you wouldn't believe!!!

By "voice font" ... something commercially available? Please tell-tell-tell :-) This could possibly eliminate the monster pre-recording of thousands of callsigns on my "To Do" list !!!

> Here's what it sounded like: http://www.w1ve.com/NAQP_Synth_fun_w1ve.mp3
>
> Do you think the quality is good enough?

Personally, I dug it, but wonder if you can change the existing voice fonts speeds without a change in pitch/tonality as can be done with hi-end digital recording studio equipment? Having a "fast" and a "slower" version would have great utility at times, IMHO. Especially, when working the "casual" ops in SS :-) Can you fine-tune the spacing (if desired) between the characters...using blank.wav or space.wav files?

> BTW, my best rate was about 75/hr using the synthesizer.   It would be
> interesting to try it using high power and a good antenna system to see how
> it impacted rate.

My 1st hour in the Phone SS was 86/hr using only pre-recorded alpha/numeric.wav files for callsigns...and not fine-tuned. The SS exchange was much longer plus a serial number, and a crappy QTH/setup. But I firmly believe that this new Frontier of automated voice in Contesting *IS* the future (especially for OF's who can't squawk the full hours in a contest anymore without problems). My personal opinion is that rates of 300+ per hour are possible when things are tweaked (close) to perfection.

It is so exciting to find others like yourself involved in this. Can't wait to hear more details about these voice-fonts, OM!!!

BTW, it was hilarious to hear the one guy say "I can't wait to meet you" (in response to your "ROBO" name & delivery :-)

Tnx & 73...

Rick, K6VVA