Re: [CQ-Contest] Synthesizer Opinions....

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Synthesizer Opinions....
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:47:43 -0500
I don't see what the problem is with using a voice other than yours for a
contest.  For the ARRL SS a YL voice is best and the same goes for Field
day. No where does this violate
the rules for even single operator.

K6VVA has been working for some time on automating the voice for contests.
W1VE has brought new ideas to the fold.  When you pass 60 the old voice does
not hold out for a full 48 or even 24 hours.  The DVK was a great step
forward and K6VVA and W1VE are moving us past the robotic sound that was the
standard.  Even young guys develop allergies.  I remember Trey operating
from N4RJ in the ARRL SS in the late 80's and losing his voice...it happens
to the best of us.

I also do not understand the critics of automating the voice.  The operator
still has to
copy the call correctly, type it in the PC and make sure its logged.  CW,
Digital, and RTTY are more automated than voice but that is changing.

Keep up the good work...many of us are taking notes and even implementing
the ideas!

73 Dave K4JRB