Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice Automation Enhancements and the future

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Voice Automation Enhancements and the future
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:35:46 -0800
Hi Mike,

We currently have contests in which require no operator coding or decoding skills and have had for decades. They are RTTY contests. People seem to like them. The good ops with the good stations and locations are the ones who win them.

Automated CW decoding is here now and few contests specifically disallow its use.

There would still be differences in occupied bandwidth, the quality of the decoding devices and the skill of the operator in using them.

Development of speech recognition systems which would work well under contest conditions would be a fertile ground for ham experimentation which I suspect isn't being done by others. i.e. while I may well be wrong, I doubt that any commercial or academic enterprise is doing research on speech recognition with 1 kHz or worse channel spacing.

So, while the mechanisms may change, I suspect that the fundamentals of contesting won't.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Mike Clarson wrote:

Please--don't misunderstand. I am not trying to start a phone vs. CW thing.
Just trying to envision what is coming and where we are going. I am not
anti-progress. I don't miss recopying logs and using those paper dup sheets!

So Eric is developing full voice automation. Fascinating. It seems to be
patterned after automated CW. I could see one having the same buttons for CW
and phone. What then would be the difference between operating a phone
contest vs. a CW contest? Only the ability to copy CW. The same difference
it would be if one participated in a Spanish Language contest. Same
buttons--another language (and I only use Spanish as an example because I am
a native English speaker). Next step is voice recognition/CW recognition. If
the computer does the copying, then there would really be no difference
between a phone or CW (or for that matter, digital mode or digitized
voice)contest. Any thoughts?--Mike, WV2ZOW