Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!

To: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How frequent to ID? Every QSO? No way!
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 18:03:02 -0500

On Jan 18, 2005, at 12:28 AM, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

If you don't ID frequently, the proportion of dupes among your QSOs will
increase. Will it increase by more than the additional number of QSOs
you get by not signing? Good question.

You're right. I have now changed my policy.

Previously, I would act like Hans and just bypass a station who was not IDing frequently enough for my tastes. Jose says this is good, that it reduces his pileup and QRM.

However, as a mostly S & P operator, I certainly don't want to do anything that would ENCOURAGE people to sign less frequently.

So, I'll change my policy. Instead, I'll just start calling them. I'll send my callsign, I'll ask for their call -- I'll work in every way to increase the QRM and increase the pileup.

That'll teach 'em. <grin>

So - ID frequently, or face bedlam....

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901