Re: [CQ-Contest] Next generation SO2R and logging software

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>, "'Mario'" <s56a@bit.si>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Next generation SO2R and logging software
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:37:58 +0500
We are planning on possible operation of HQ stations in IARU from
zone 30. Since there need to be several stations scattered around the
entire zone we immediately thought of N1MM with internet
connectivity. So we tried to test how it works, 4.0.189 was said to
be more or less stable version so we have set it up. Here are my
observations about what does not work as we think it should:
1)Force other station stop TX when I TX. Although it works but the
algorithm is different from what would be needed. That is if there
are two stations linked and both would set that flag on, then the one
that start TX later interrupts the one that starts to TX first. If
only one of the two linked stations set that flag this station then
has a priority and it could be used somehow provided you physically
see the other operator and his input window. Ideally it would be neat
to see the input window of each operator on both screens and also
have a small screen with video of the other operator (10-15 frames
per second will be more then sufficient)
The alternative is to have some indication of PTT signals of both of
the stations on each screen. There is some indication but it only
shows you who has interrupted your TX. And it stays on even when PTT
of the other station has been released.
It would also be helpful to have some sort of MP3 audio channel
between the two ops one of whom is running and another one does S&P
on the same band.
2)Audio recording of the contest does not work in this version
3)We could not figure the way on entering of the call to see
immediately what bands this station is still needed and what bands
this mult is needed. This info is readily available when we use TRlog
4) Band map is pretty limited. I can only see about 150 kHz of 20m
band on 17 inch monitor with 1024X768 resolution. There is no
provision for the band map of all the bands on the same screen. IMHO
TRlog implementation of band map is occupying less space on the
screen and is much more flexible.
5) The need to use mouse a lot is IMHO also a disadvantage. I only
have two hands for keyboard and radio.
6) We also tried to use N1MM in PACC contest as Multi-Single but we
could not do that because of the issue with serial numbers starting
with 001 on every new band.
The conclusion we came to is that N1MM probably has good potential
for MS, M2 and MM in the future but so far we are better off with
more reliable and fast and stable TRlog which unfortunately lacks
proper connectivity and integration with audio and video but still
IMHO is the best choice for single op (including SO2R). Will be
looking forward to ver.  5 of N1MM to see how it works.

73, Igor UA9CDC