Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic Spots

To: Dean Wood <n6de@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic Spots
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:15:55 -0500
On Feb 21, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Dean Wood wrote:

> Richard Zalewski wrote:
>
>> What's with W6YX and all the domestic spotes this weekend?
>
> 2) Within reason for a given contest, we believe it is simply in good
> spirit to spot any station we hear calling CQ.

Agreed. When I'm at a mult station at NQ4I, and I'm tuning around, I'll
spot just about everything I find (unless it's been spotted recently).

> We spot
> everyone based on whether they are in or out of our bandmap. It simply
> means we were
> equally spotting CQers heard on the bands.

And this, I think, is how it should be. The spotting network is a lot
more advanced than a decade or two ago. The throughput limitations have
pretty much lifted -- most operators have some degree of packet
filtering -- there's no reason not to spot just about everything heard,
so long as it hasn't been spotted recently.

> 3) Any stations who don't wish to see the entire contents of a DX
> packet
> cluster have been repeatedly encouraged on the cq-contest reflector to
> use their packet software's filtering techniques according to what
> regions of the world they want to view (or don't want to view).

It would make sense, in a contest such as ARRL, where certain stations
count zero points -- to filter out those spots.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901