[CQ-Contest] Seeing is believing

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Seeing is believing
From: "Jim Cain" <cainjim@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:10:59 -0600
I saw this on the Top Band reflector from Tree, N6TR:

>"I did get a few dits out of SM5EDX and could see several signals from Europe
>with Spectran (a FFT program that produces a "waterfall" display).  Using that
program, I can see signals that you can't hear.  I was able to clearly see
SM5EDX and CT1EEB."

I did a search on Acronym Finder for FFT (17 possibilities) and decided that
Tree is using a Food for Thought program.

I wonder what FFT does to voice signals, and if it translates languages. I
Googled "Spectran," and learned a few things about moonbounce, etc.

This changes everything. The next thing you know, contesters will be keeping
their logs on a computer and using keys that make dits and dahs automatically.

But "seeing signals" will never happen to contesting, because it's too slow and
too complex. And humans will never fly, either.

Jim Cain, K1TN/9