Re: [CQ-Contest] Biggest 20M and other antenna arrays (WA3FET)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Biggest 20M and other antenna arrays (WA3FET)
From: <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:50:46 -0500
 WA3FET wrote :

 The largest 20M antennas that I think anyone probably ever used was when
several of us were able to get government permission to use the VOA curtain
array at Bethany, Ohio for a day before it was shut down and dismantled.  I
will still never forget the most amazing signals with a QSO with Robert,
GI0KOW on 40M with this array.  I also remember working EA3OT on this array on
20M
and you can imagine what that was like.

Hi Jim...

Boy that brings back memories... The VOA at Bethany was my neighbor during my
teenage
years, when I lived at home with my parents in West Chester... You will be glad
know that even thought all the towers/antennas are long gone they have
preserved the
building and are making it radio museum.  They have a club station there -
WC8VOA - for
the West Chester Amateur Radio Assn.  See http://www.wc8voa.org/  My dad -
W8CDA - is
a member of the club and I have been inside several times. If you have worked
them in a CW
contest it was probably my dad operating.  In fact I will probably operate
there a bit  in WPX SSB
when we are home for Easter in a couple weeks...

For anyone going to Dayton they will probably have the station open for tours
if you want to stop by

Jeff KU8E