[CQ-Contest] simple multi-multi network?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] simple multi-multi network?
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 01:12:02 EST
Hi all,

I have been asked by some overseas friends for advice regarding the hookup of
a series of laptops into a network to support an effort in WPX coming up. In
the past they have used CT (under DOS) with the old style rs232 port daisy
chain network. But that requires two serial ports per machine and the new
machines they have available for use have only 1 serial port each.

I seem to remember that the other style of network in use by the MM stations
is an ethernet setup. So assuming that the computers in question have network
ports then I have several questions:

1. Can someone point me to a place in the contesting literature where the
setup and wiring is described. (I'm computer savvy, but not a network type).

2. Must the network run under Windows or is there a way to run it under DOS?
The people in question are much more comfortable with CT under DOS and would
rather not switch to WINCT, but can run CT in a DOS window if needed.

3. If the network runs under windows, then what is the setup of the network
parameters in windows?

4. Is additional hardware required? (hub, etc.)

5. Does anyone have any other suggestions for tying the machines together?
Note that supplying additional hardware is not an option for these particular
people.

73 and tia de Bill, W1HIJ/6
aka FO8DX, FO0SCH, Team NP4A, Team CO0US
Pina Colada Contest Club, KP2AA