Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IRLP Contest
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:45:10 -0800
Bill, K4XS wrote:

===
Whenever I get in my truck and hit the local repeater I try
to talk up contesting and HF in general.  I am pretty much met with apathy
and an attitude that it is better to sit and wallow on a 2 meter repeater than
it is to upgrade and get on HF or contest.
===

"Keep on truckin', Bill" ... one or more of 'em will eventually come around!

Confession:  During my 30 year absence from HF DXing & Contesting, I was a
440Mhz "Wallower" for years.  I still fire up the 440 rig before the wheels
roll, and have identified several "born contesters" (as I refer to them
repeatedly), who I will keep working on.  Actually, our local
club...primarily 2m/440Mhz types but a few HF'ers, has already yielded a
recent new NCCC member who ended up setting a few new band records at the
N6RO super-station during a M/M contest last year!

I've never been very good about waiting for that darn "tone" on the
repeater, and the guys always tease me when I'm a bit fast-on-the-trigger
with things like: "You must have just been in another one of those
contests", or, "there must be a contest coming up", etc.  Some of them just
don't know what fun they are missing, so one of my personal "Missions" is
to keep whacking away to hopefully bring some new contesters into the fold,
even if it be one-at-a-time over the long haul.

Hmmm...maybe I'll take my Notebook computer to a future local club meeting
& fire up Morse Runner for the live prospect base :-)

73...

Rick, K6VVA