[CQ-Contest] VE7FO's Newbies to mount serious attempt at WPX bottom10 bo

To: CQ-Contest <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] VE7FO's Newbies to mount serious attempt at WPX bottom10 box
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 01:53:12 -0800
We're at it again.  So far, have 8 hours' worth of newbies scheduled for
Saturday, starting at 0700 local.  One from my CW class was here for the
ARRL SSB DX.  He had so much fun he's coming back and bringing a friend
who hasn't a clue about ham radio!

I might have someone on Sun between 0700 - 1100 local but haven't heard yet.

If you happen to think of it, a simple remark like, "Welcome to HF
radio," does amazing things to a newbie's interest level.

I'm trying to set up a formal contest training scene with classification
of ops by contesting skill sets.  I finally bit the bullet and figured
out how to set up a web site so I wouldn't have to keep sending out
giant e-mails loaded with attachments to explain to everyone what they
would be doing.  All the stuff is now on the site.  If you're
interested, check out
http://members.shaw.ca/jimsmith/

The skill levels with labels like Competent and Advanced are aimed at a
Club population with virtually no HF experience.  What I'm calling
competent probably wouldn't get their foot in the door of a major
multi-op.

Lots of work to be done on sorting out skills and Levels yet.

See you on the weekend.

73, Jim   VE7FO