[CQ-Contest] Rules Violations, LOTW

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rules Violations, LOTW
From: "S. Markowski Jr." <km9m-zig@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:58:59 +0000
This is not a personal attack, although some might feel that it is........

Perhaps the banter on the right/wrong of emergency communications could
be better handled on the Ham-Law Reflector, and handled by "real
attorneys".  Many of them there are versed in communication law........

Ward (and many others here) makes perfect sense...... Make notations of
circumstances, actions taken, etc, and keep them readily available for
inquiries. ( I could swear I read that somewhere before.....maybe from a
licensing book and/or study manual.  Out of band 14 Mhz ssb
communications with Grenada during an invasion back in the 80's also
rings a bell here.) With all the b.s. that happens on the bands, does
anyone really believe the FCC is going to "hammer" someone for doing
this?  Personally (not professionally), I don't think so.

And as far as who does/does not participate in LOTW:  This is the
U.S.A.;  LOTW is voluntary, and a personal choice.  If a U.S. Contester
going abroad wants to use it fine... If he doesn't, that's fine too!
There are plenty traveling abroad still using paper logs and dupe sheets.
Their choice, not ours.  And depending where you are operating from,
obtaining LOTW certificates are not guaranteed to be without some hoop
jumping.

It's going to be a LONG down-side of the cycle without DX to work to
keep folks occupied...
:(

How about us getting back to contesting?

73,
Zig - KM9M/V26CW