Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Contest Stations and Homeland Security

To: Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Contest Stations and Homeland Security
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:29:51 -0800
Some of us ARE under the Dept. of Homeland Security.  My ham station
is also a Coast Guard Auxiliary Radio Station.

Still waiting for any grants to better the station, however.

Lee Buller wrote:

> K1TTT makes and extremely valid point concerning his
> station.  (See his comments for emergencies)  Some of
> these stations that are used for contesting are bigger
> than government stations...if there is a thing like
> that anymore.
>
> Maybe, some of the stations around the country should
> be earmarked for Homeland Security Status.  What that
> really means I am not sure.  But, it would make sense
> to me to use these stations to maintain communications
> on several wavelengths...using power..and big
> antennas.
>
> Now, what I don't want to see is they get Homeland
> Security Grants of $100,000 to install or maintain the
> station.  That would make competition pretty lop-sided
> in my estimation.
>
> But, it is a good idea for the nation as a whole.
>
> Just a thought...your mileage may vary...
> You see...contesting is good for something....
> Contesting and Traffic Handling are very close
> cousins.
>
> Lee - K0WA
> htt://home.swbell.net/k0wa
>

> Common sense is in short supply - get some and use it  - Lee Buller

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY