Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W
From: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:18:43 -0500
I, too, was pleased to see the ZD8 qsls (80 - 10) pop up on the LOTW this
weekend. Although 80 and 160 are lagging behind, I am either over or very
near DXCC on the other bands. I have notice several occasions where the
server was "too busy" and timed out. I guess that more and more guys are
finding that LOTW is an advantage to them. I have certainly noticed a marked
drop in QSL requests from the bureau over the last 6 months.

Sending QSLs via LOTW is much less work than responding to one months worth
of bureau cards, and certainly less expensive. In fact, it's free.
Responding to one month's worth of cards from the bureau costs at least $10.
My logging program, DXBase, allows me to easily identify the qsos to be sent
to LOTW and prepares them in the correct format.

Apparently, because of various issues, some have found that the system is
either too time consuming, difficult, or just not advantageous to them. When
I decided to have the ARRL accept the QSLs that were in the LOTW que, I
found that it was going to be $75 without asking for any certificates. I
certainly had to consider whether it was worth the expense. (It would have
been a least that if I had sent the cards).

I want to thank all that have uploaded their logs to LOTW. I suspect that
some of the other ARRL awards aren't too far down the line on LOTW.

Bill, W5VX