[CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] license class and m-m op's
From: dennis o'connor <k8do@mailblocks.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 04:59:31 -0700
The Third Party rule is a law left over from another era that no longer
has any reason to exist today... The entire point of Third Party Rule
was to protect the national telephone monopolies from competition...
When it used to cost dollars per minute to make long distance calls,
particularily across the ocean (undersea telephone/telegraph cables)
the thought of hams taking money from the till by providing free calls
gave telecommunication ministers and telephone executives sleepless
nights... So, governments insisted upon the third party rule to protect
their robber barons... Now, with VOIP those rules are 'so' passe....

The contesting community needs to present the FCC/ARRL with a united
front on this and demand that they drop all rules preventing lower
class licensees from operating in higher class sub bands as long as an
appropriately licensed control op is PRESENT....        -  I have no
problem with them or the ARRL taking action where a lower class
licensee is operating in higher class sub bands without an
appropriately licensed control op present -   Obviously, the log cannot
be submitted under an unlicensed name or lower class licensee call, as
apparently was done in the case cited...

      I for one will continue to recruit new hams and new contestors by
helping them operate my station in a contest, but I am present at all
times...

denny - k8do