[CQ-Contest] No Contest -- CW vs. txt msg'g

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] No Contest -- CW vs. txt msg'g
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:51:48 EDT
For those of you who didn't see Jay Leno's Tonight show last night (Friday),
there was NO contest in the contest for speed and accuracy in transmitting a
message via morse versus using text messaging on cell phones. The cell phone
team was a couple of people in the range of 17 to 20 year olds. The CW team
(using Yaesu FT817's on stage) was my Pina Colada Contest Club buddy Chip, K7JA
as
the sender and my friend Ken, K6CTW as the receiver ...

The message was something like "I just saved lots of money on my car
insurance". It was transmitted and received in something like 20 seconds. No
fills
required of course, but then I wouldn't expect there to be with a team like
that.

Nice to see Chip and Ken in matching outfits of black pants, white shirts,
black vests, and ESPECIALLY the green eye shades!

Too bad there wasn't an opportunity for them to be interviewed a bit, but the
time was needed for a "desperate housewife". Duh, I wonder why ...

Anyway congratualtions to both Chip and Ken for the national exposure of CW

73 de Bill, W1HIJ/6, aka FOØSCH, FO8DX (2001)
Pina Colada Contest Club (KP2AA)
Field Day Teams: NP4A (2002), COØUS (2003), KP2AA (2004)