Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW PHONE UBNs

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW PHONE UBNs
From: "Tonno Vahk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 22:39:43 +0300
I absolutely support the disclosure of all the logs and UBN reports as well.
EU Sprint really stands out in that respect is just enjoying this advantage
alone now.

It would be highly educational and would make the contest more interesting
and transparent and decrease cheating. Top places would be under spotlight
and the small pistols should have nothing to be afraid of as nobody manages
to check all the UBNs:) That in
case some might be shy for some reason to have their logs public...

I would like to hear some negative aspects from anybody if there is any. I
don't think it would expose the log checking procedure as you can draw those
conclusions from your own UBN already!

As for 2004 SSB UBN I went through all my recordings and checked the N, U
and B calls. It is interesting.

Out of 4217 QSOs in SOAB I had 14 BADs, 24 -NILs, 19 Uniques and 52 not
penalized NILs. Lost 3,7% of the score which I am quite satisfied with.

Out of 14 BADs actually 4 were correct QSOs with existing calls. 10 were
correctly judged. Out of the 10 3 were correctly copied by me and mistyped
and 7 were miscopied.

Out of 24 penalized NILs 10 sounded perfect QSOs so could not help. In 10
cases I did not get audible confirmation and the station probably did not
get the call right, my mistakes. In 4 cases it was understandable that the
station was actually calling someone else. My mistake again entering the
QSOs. For some reason OT4A gave me -NILs on 3 bands. Did not log me,
strange.

Out of 19 Uniques 14 were true Uniques and correct QSOs but 5 were actually
my coping mistakes and I escaped penalties by hitting an existing call.

So 4 extra BADs but 5 Us that should have been BADs. Quite fair:)

Nobody should really complain about log checking as naturally it can never
be 100% accurate (it is amazingly good though) and everybody is in the same
conditions and judged the same way. Should anybody get any QSOs restored
based on recordings then this would be unfair towards those who don't have
recording capabilities.

And I think it is better to keep the scoring and penalty systems as they are
now just to have continuity even if they are not perfect as still the
conditions are the same for everybody and penalties do increase accuracy not
like in WPX...

73
tonno
es5tv